Saturday, September 10, 2005

Firefox

Just to be contrary with my colleague, I will bash Firefox, which FD2 likes for some reason. First of all, it's pretty clunky. Who needs a link to everywhere they go or a Google link at the top of their browser window? Do it yourself, you lazy asses. It's slow. It takes about three minutes to load. Yes, that is an exaggeration, but only partly. It takes a while to every damn page. Internet Explorer doesn't take that much. At all. Firefox has a large community which tries to make everybody use Firefox. The only thing that they achieve is making me angry. I'm damn safe using Internet Explorer. I don't give a damn about plugins or whatever the hell they call them. I'm fine as long as I have an address bar, a go button and back and forward buttons. I don't need a toolbar or some sort of Google bar doohicky. I don't need to update IE. People say that Firefox is safer. Not at all. As long as you don't act like a complete idiot, Internet Explorer is fine.

Go to hell, Firefox.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
FD2 said...

Advertisement removed.

Pulkit K. said...

I completely disagree. :)

FD2 said...

Me too.

Anonymous said...

I'm all for taking back the internet, and I think Bill Gates is an evil conniving bastard, but Firefox has its drawbacks. For my website, I have to make too many design sacrifices to accomidate FF users. Which sucks, btw.

Raoul said...

I disagree. Firefox may be slow and I really don't care about "security", a browser wont help me there, but it does have one incredibly useful function: tabbed browsing. Now that I have used it for so long I couldn't use the internet without it. Especially since my windows start bar is messed up and I can't navigate through different windows in the normal way, I either need to drag non-maximised windows (which I hate) or use task manager to switch windows. Having all my intenet in one window is very convenient.

Firefox may have its weaknesses, including some you didn't mention (incorrect displaying of some webpages, etc.) but tabbed browsing makes all the difference, I often have up to 10 or even 20 webpages open at once. And when IE gets tabbed browsing... I really don't know - IE would possibly be a superior browser (only possibly), but I'm used to firefox now.

Anonymous said...

The reason to use Firefox is not security or speed or annoying Mr. Gates, but rather all the features it has, either out of the box or through plugins: tabbed browsing, incremental find, AdBlock (this one's huge), download manager, Quick Searches (e.g. type wp something to look it up in Wikipedia), popup blocking that actually works, etc. If you don't actually try out those features, then you'll think you're OK with IE. People thought they were fine with IE4 before IE5 and with IE5 before IE6. People thought they were fine with Win98 before WinXP (many people still do think this). Just because you can do something with one tool doesn't mean you can do it more effectively with another.

Anonymous said...

Who are you trying to kid? Firefox is much better than IE. Firefox does need to load a little quicker in the beginning, but for me, when it loads websites it goes a tad faster than IE. This is just a comment, I'm not trying to be the dictator of internet browsers, I'm just stating my opininion.

P.S. Firefox has tabbed browsing, something IE won't get until Vista, and something that makes life much easier for me.